A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

Lament for the Herring

Tune -- Langolee
http://www.box.net/shared/4dqax304kw

Woes me for the herring that stand in the barrel,
They're short in the fish, and they cannot well sell,
The people that see them, they make it a quarrel,
Indeed they're o'er many to keep to my sell.
If the merchant had known that he is a cruel villain,
And after this, from me he'll ne'er get a shilling,
If they do not sell, I'll send them back till him,
And punish him for that, if in Glasgow he dwell.

I will not blame J -- h, for he is my well-wisher,
He'll do me no more harm, than he'll do himsel;
But, O, 'tis a pity, he look'd not the herring,
I'm sure he'll be troubled when he hears tell.
My friends in Muirkirk; they're a' very sorry,
All but taylor S -- l, as 'tis that scolin's glory:
The loss will be mine, to conclude the story,
And black is my heart, if the herring don't sell.

.
.
.