A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

Snuffy Peter

Tune: Buy Broom Besoms*
http://www.box.net/shared/7fmj5n64o8
http://www.box.net/shared/q2sncesws4



I'll tell you of a story that happened at the tool,
All the drunkard's glory's in a flowing bowl,
Well done Peter, never let it out,
Light the wax candle, beg your snuff about.

One night as I went up unto the hay-stack hill,
I met with a merchant, and he gave me a gill,
Thank you kindly, merchant, we'll not drink it out,
We'll leave a drap to Peter, he'll soon hing about.

In comes Watty Bell, he was something fou,
He was not himsel', yet bought a stug horn'd cow,
Well done, Watty, may she be luck to you,
She's a muckle price, though not a bonny cow.

Watty Bell the smith, he curs'd, tho' meant no harm,
Though he has walth o' pith, he cannot polish iron,
Woes me Watty, that you cannot do it,
Let Peter light his candle, and help to strike it out.

In came snuffy Peter glowring very wide,
He says, come cease your singing, the noise I cannot bide,
Woes me, Peter, that you cannot do it,
You wou'd rather hear the music of a German flute.

If Peter is not bonny, his conduct is not bra',
Some folks they leave nothing, Peter licks up a'.
Thir lines I will conclude, and I may tell't wi' shame,
If I had been less at the tool, I would been more at hame.

I've ta'en a resolution, happen as it will,
'Tis better late to thrive than never to do well,
Dear snuffy Peter, ye shou'd marry me,
And if ye winna tak' me, ye may let me be.




*"Buy Broom Besoms" must be altered in order for the tune to fit the lyrics of "Snuffy Peter." The link to the tune of "Buy Broom Besoms" is above, followed by a link to the tune once it has been altered for "Snuffy Peter."


.


.


.