A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

M'Lellan's Lament for his Master's Death

Tune: Flowers of the Forest
http://www.box.net/shared/42ccgat8go

All men of every station now hear my lamentation,
I am now so sorry, but little I can say,
I had the best master that ever I served,
But Providence lately called him away.

Let us all be learning, and daily take warning,
For time and its moments will make no delay,
The rich is not spared, because of their greatness,
For all that is breathing must go to the clay.

While he was in health, we were cheerful at Well-wood,
The garden was pleasant, the fountain ran clear,
And had he been spared that was my noble master,
I would not have left him the incoming year.

The poor they will miss him, for he had their blessing,
'Tis very well known he was kind to the poor,
And those that are grateful will surely mourn for him,
For never one hungry he sent from his door.

The colonel is absent, for which I am sorry,
I heartily wish for his speedy return,
He was with him householder, and a chief companion,
When he hears the news, he will certainly mourn.

Adieu Nether Wellwood, for we must go leave you,
And we must be scattered all here and there,
Sometimes we'll be thinking upon one another,
And that friendly lady that we served there.

God bless his successor, and well may he prosper,
I wish he may thrive for the good L -- n's sake,
Altho' he was humble and kind to the poor,
There were both knights and lords him their equal did make.

Adieu to my neighbours, I'm sorry to leave you,
Yet happy it is at this time of the year,
I would been more sorry, had it been in sweet July,
When beautiful flowers in the garden appear.


.


.


.