A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

A New Song on the Times

Tune--Of a' the airts the wind can blaw
http://www.box.net/shared/yahc0mwowg


Let Britain's subjects now rejoice,
Since peace and plenty's come,
It is not drink nor music's noise,
Nor beating of a drum.

But thankfulness it is requir'd,
With humble heart sincere,
Since Providence has been so kind,
As take pity on the poor.

Ye know its two long years and more,
The poor's been sore oppress'd,
And dealers who had ought to sell,
They try'd who could get most.

Rejoice the markets has come down,
Half price they will not get,
Extortioners may join and mourn,
None of them I'll except.

Ye justices and gentlemen,
Ye sure have a great charge,
In time of need unto the poor,
Your charity enlarge.

If widow, or the fatherless,
Goes hungry from your door,
You scarce a blessing can expect,
If you neglect the poor.

And what you give, take my advice,
Give cheerfully away,
You'll get it sevenfold restor'd,
I hope, some other day.

When world's trash is of no use,
Will stand you in no stead,
Nor knife and fork at beef or pork,
At any table head.

For my part I am hearty still,
And ne'er sought charity;
But I'll regard them while I live,
That has been kind to me.

I cheerfully enjoy myself,
Never frets for world's wealth,
Contentment still shall be a feast,
While I enjoy my health.


.


.