A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

A New Song: "To end youthful sporting..."

Tune: Flowers of the Forest
http://www.box.net/shared/42ccgat8go

To end youthful sporting it has been my fortune,
To marry a carter as you plainly see,
For he was my choice, and he has been my fortune,
And who lives so happy as Johnny and me.

So be not surprised at our hasty wedding,
I lov'd him because he was sober and young,
Altho' he's a carter we're lawfully married,
So who should despise us for what we have done.

His parents they lov'd me, for which I regard them,
I love to be grateful in every degree,
I love to be grateful, I ne'er shall be fretful,
While health does remain with my Johnny and me.

So take my advice, never marry for siller,
For 'tis bound to no man, we oftentimes see,
For this world's riches, ten thousand bewitches,
But love was the motive with Johnny and me.

.
.
.