A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

A New Song ("All women of fashion")

Tune -- Foot's Minuet
http://www.box.net/shared/hnzbmrrwg0

All women of fashion,
Give ear to my notion,
I pray give attention
To this my new song,
Concerning a young man
That lives in this country;
With beauty and honour
His fame I will crown.

It would take me long time,
To describe all his beauties,
Yet with pen and paper
I will make them bright;
For I do know women
Of different stations,
That does in his company
Take great delight.

Yet he is more prudent,
And keeps at a distance,
And sees no pleasure
In those that are wed;
But if he would marry
He might be more happy,
Than them that is rich,
And thinks they're more bred.

For wisdom and prudence
Is better than riches,
We have a good author,
'Tis Solomon's word:
I hope this young man
Will make choice of virtue
Before all the riches
The earth can afford.

Ye know Alexander
Had plenty of riches,
Yet wanted contentment
The same to enjoy:
This young man is youthful,
And very good natur'd,
And reads much in history,
His mind to employ.

What tho' he's well mounted
And goes in the fashion,
Yet still keeps a distance
From those that's profane:
Could he guard his eyes
As he can do his passion,
His mind were more easy,
The truth I maintain.

I'll not take the freedom
To mention his lasses,
It would be too much boldness
For me to do so:
Suppose 'tis no evil,
I'll not tell my reason,
I speak as a friend,
And I'll ne'er be a foe.

O Sandy, lad, what struck your head,
When ye were here yestreen,
And ran awa' in sic a haste,
And would not crack to Jean.
Aye when ye see a bonny lass,
Ye never should her shun,
If you do not love their company,
Ye surely will get fun.

If you shun every company,
You'll never get a wife,
Like me ye'll wander up and down,
And live a single life.


.
.
.