A Note on the Project

There are numerous songs in Pagan's collection that have the name of a tune below their title. This project aims to recover those tunes and place them alongside Pagan's work, which was not meant to be silently read off of a page. When MIDI files and musical scores--both with just the skeleton of the melody for these tunes-- accompany Pagan's "poems," they can be read with a slightly better understanding of how the original audience experienced them.

Wednesday

Song: "The Duke of Gordon's fencibles..."

Tune: The Campbells are Comin'
http://www.box.net/shared/10od1g2gwc

The Duke of Gordon's fencibles,
They're handsome here in Cumnock town;
And at Muirkirk a party lies,
For to haud the reformers down.

They're decent, I can say no less,
For any thing that I do see;
And well they set the Highland dress,
Although they're bare aboon the knee.

Captain S -- h, that gentleman,
O his behaviour's very good,
Tho' he should kiss a bonny lass
And who can say that that is rude.

Lieutenant C -- n I have seen,
I think he is a decent man;
I give this song a Highland tune,
They are an ancient Highland clan.

And Ensign G -- n I have seen,
His countenance is kind and free;
Although he is a gentleman,
He's grac'd wi' great humility.

And their musicianer, T -- m S -- w,
I think he's decent, blythe and young;
I vow he plays his trou --
Although he has the Highland tongue.

The maids in town and country round,
Gallants with them with right good will;
They love to dance the soldier's jig,
And swear they love their soldier still.

There's one call'd F -- r I have seen,
A verse from me he may expect,
One night at Cumnock fell late,
A lass convoy'd me near Affleck.

And F -- r she did take with her,
To crack to her as she gaed hame,
And as his kilt was short before,
Think ye he wad na -- her wame.

The soldiers they like Cumnock best.
Their sweethearts there they're swear to want;
And at Muirkirk they are more shy
Because the colliers are not scant.

Now them that lodg'd at Avandale inn,
They do not like their lodging well,
For they pay boarding very dear,
They feed them with the beggar's meal.

Now these lines I will conclude,
My song made out I will go hame;
The road's not far, the night is good,
This I will sing, and gang my lane.

But Providence the wars would cease,
That chearful hearts would dance and sing,
And every lad enjoy his lass,
And love his country and his king.

.
.
.